ASSOCIATION FOR MEDIA AND TECHNOLOGY IN EDUCATION IN CANADA TRUST
||Name. The organization shall be known as the Association for Media and Technology in Education in Canada Trust (hereinafter referred to as the AMTEC Trust.)
||Head Office. The AMTEC Trust offices shall be located within Canada, at a location approved by AMTEC Trust Trustees. The location may be changed from time to time. Other branch offices may be established and maintained within Canada, as the Board of Trustees shall from time to time designate.
||Purposes and Objectives. The AMTEC Trust has been formed for the sole purpose of performing those functions and carrying out those purposes of CNIE, which are charitable and educational in nature. Those charitable and educational purposes are based upon the conviction that the improvement of instruction in schools, post-secondary institutions and business and industry can be accomplished, at least in part, by the continued investigation and application of new systems, strategies, techniques and technologies for learning and by the periodic assessment of current techniques for the communication of information.
Within the above framework the purpose of the AMTEC Trust will be to enlarge the body of knowledge available in the field of educational communications, media and technology and to encourage dissemination of such knowledge. The Trust shall be carried on without purpose of gain for its members, and any profits or other gains to the organization shall be used in promoting its objectives. To this end the AMTEC Trust will:
- provide research grants, professional development grants and bursaries to recognized, registered educational institutions.
- provide research grants and bursaries directly to qualified post-secondary students in instructional technology.
- provide research grants directly to qualified independent developers and designers who are focused in the area of instructional technology.
- do all such other things as are incidental and ancillary to the attainment of the foregoing purposes and exercise of the powers of the Trust.
||The Board of Trustees. The affairs and property of the AMTEC Trust shall be managed by a Board of Trustees. The members of the Board of Trustees shall be appointed by the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education.
- The AMTEC Trust shall be governed by a Board of Trustees, which shall consist of not more than seven members. It shall formulate policy; initiate or approve AMTEC Trust programs; prepare or approve the AMTEC Trust budget; adopt resolutions respecting the affairs of the AMTEC Trust; appoint the officers of the AMTEC Trust; and, in general, exercise the powers and responsibilities granted to the Trustees by these bylaws.
- The makeup of the Board of Trustees shall include members representing as many provinces as possible and three members representing each of the following sectors: K-12, Post-Secondary, Business & Industry
- The Trustees may, by resolution of a majority thereof, designate and appoint the Executive Committee of not more than three (3) members, made up of the President, Secretary, and Treasurer. This Committee shall have and exercise the authority of the Trustees in the Management of the AMTEC Trust.
- The Trustees of the AMTEC Trust shall be appointed by the Board of Directors of the AMTEC for terms of three years beginning on the date of the first meeting of the Trustees following their appointment, or until their successors shall have been appointed and qualified, except shorter terms of office may be offered to maintain staggered terms of office. A trustee may be removed from office at any time by a majority vote of the Board of Directors of CNIE on the recommendation of the Trustees. When vacancies occur, either through attrition or resignation, the Trustees shall submit to the Board of Directors of CNIE, a slate of candidates for their consideration and subsequent action.
- The Trustees shall hold a meeting not less often than once in each calendar year and so often as may be deemed necessary and shall serve without compensation. Meetings shall be at a time, place or mode designated by the Chair of the Trustees and shall be held at the call of the Chair. The Chair shall be required to call a meeting of the Trustees upon written request of a majority of the Trustees in Office. The participation at any meeting of any four members of the Trustees in office shall constitute a quorum for the conducting of business. The business of the Board may also be conducted by any electronic means deemed efficient by the Chair.
- The Trustees shall appoint a committee from their body consisting of at least three members each to be known as the Fund Committee. The Committee shall be designated as the Fund Committee.
- No Trustee of the AMTEC Trust shall serve more than two consecutive three-year terms. Trustees appointed to fill an un-expired vacancy may serve up to three terms, not including the term of the un-expired vacancy. Trustees may be re-appointed after they have been off the Board of Trustees for at least one year.
||Officers of the Trust. As outlined in 4.3, above, the Trustees will elect from their number an Executive Committee, consisting of the following officers and responsibilities.
- The officers of the AMTEC Trust shall be a President, who serves as Chair of the Trustees, the Fund Chair (see section 6, below), the Secretary and the Treasurer.
- The officers of the AMTEC Trust shall be appointed by the Trustees for terms of one year to begin immediately upon their appointment. Officers shall be selected from Trustees and may be removed from office at any time by a two-thirds vote of the Trustees at a regular or special meeting of the Trustees.
- The President shall act as Chair of the Trustees, and, except to the extent such powers and responsibilities are vested in the Trustees, or other officers, shall have general charge over the affairs of the AMTEC Trust. There will also be a Board Secretary and Board Treasurer. The Secretary shall keep minutes of the meetings of the Trustees. The Treasurer will prepared an annual budget for the AMTEC Trust, and advise the Trustees on fiscal matters.
- The President, the Secretary and Treasurer shall be responsible for the management of the AMTEC Trust in its administrative, business and financial affairs within the framework of policies established by the AMTEC Trust Trustees and shall have such powers to perform such other duties as may be elsewhere specified in these Bylaws or may from time to time be assigned to them by the Trustees.
- All financial disbursements of the Trust must have the prior approval of the President and Treasurer.
- The Trustees, or when authorized, the officers, may employ such other persons to assist the officers in the management of the Trust as may be deemed necessary.
|| As outlined in 4.6, above, the Trustees will elect from their number a Fund Committee, consisting of the following members & responsibilities:
- The program of the AMTEC Trust will be under the supervision of a Fund Committee appointed by the Trustees, who will appoint one of their number as chair. Members of this committee will be known as Fund Trustees.
- Fund Trustees shall have the responsibility of recommending to the Trustees the manner in which contributions and bequests will be held in trust including the recommendation of what portion of the funds may be reasonably allocated to any given projects, subject to the approval of the Trustees. Special instructions of the Donors will always receive high priority. They will assist the Board Treasurer in maintaining accurate records of the fund under their purview, insuring that fund activities are consistent with the purposes for which the fund was established.
||Rules for the Administration of Monies Received by the Trust. The Trustees will observe the following rules governing the administration of all money received by the Trust:
- No member of the AMTEC Trust will profit personally from any activity of the Trust.
- No less than fifty per cent (50%) of all monies received by the AMTEC Trust in any given taxation year will be disbursed by the Trust in fulfillment of its charitable purposes and objectives as stated in Section 3, above.
- The Trust will keep complete records of its financial activities.
||Amendments to the Trust Document. The AMTEC Trust “Trust Document” may be amended by written submission, approved by no less than two-thirds of the Board of Trustees and ratified by the CNIE Board.
||Terms of Organization. Upon dissolution, all of the assets of the AMTEC Trust shall be turned over to qualified recipients as per subsection 149.1 (1) of the Income Tax Act, or any successor provision thereto as the then board of trustees shall select in accordance with the bylaws. Provided, that if at the time of such dissolution the AMTEC Trust is a charitable organization within the meaning Part 1 of the Income Tax Act, the assets shall be paid over to such other organization as will not subject the AMTEC Trust to taxation.
||Dissolution by Default. In the event that the Trust defaults in any of its legal obligations under the Income Tax Act, or in any of its obligations to the AMTEC Board, as defined in the Trust's Bylaws, The AMTEC Board may, after the passage of 90 working days, move to dissolve the Trust and re-distribute its assets per section 8 above.
||No Personal Liability. Neither the officers, trustees, sponsors of the AMTEC Trust nor their property shall be subject to or chargeable with the payment of the debts or obligations of the AMTEC Trust.
Organization and Offices
||The AMTEC Trust is a non-profit, charitable organization registered as a charitable organization under Part 1 of the Income Tax Act.
||The AMTEC Trust offices shall be located within Canada, at a location approved by AMTEC Trust Trustees. The location may be changed from time to time. Other branch offices may be established and maintained within Canada, as the Board of Trustees shall from time to time designate.
Purposes and Objectives
The AMTEC Trust has been formed for the sole purpose of performing those functions and carrying out those purposes of AMTEC, which are charitable and educational in nature. Those charitable and educational purposes, which are, in turn, the purposes of the AMTEC Trust, are based upon the conviction that the improvement of instruction in schools, post-secondary institutions and business and industry can be accomplished, at least in part, by the continued investigation and application of new systems, strategies, techniques and technologies for learning and by the periodic assessment of current techniques for the communication of information. Within the above framework the purpose of the AMTEC Trust will be to enlarge the body of knowledge available in the field of educational communications, media and technology and to encourage dissemination of such knowledge.
To this end the AMTEC Trust will:
||provide research grants, professional development grants and bursaries to recognized, registered educational institutions.
||provide research grants and bursaries directly to qualified post-secondary students in instructional technology.
||provide research grants and bursaries directly to qualified members of CNIE who work in business and industry.
||do all such other things as are incidental and ancillary to the attainment of the foregoing purposes and exercise of the powers of the Trust.
Relationship with Canadian Network for Innovation in Education
||The AMTEC Trust is sponsored and controlled by CNIE, to the extent set forth in the Trust Document of the AMTEC Trust. The AMTEC Trust is organized and will, at all times, be operated for the benefit of, to perform the function of and to carry out the purposes of CNIE, to the extent that such purposes and functions of CNIE are not in conflict with the charitable, educational and exclusively public benefit purposes of the AMTEC Trust.
||Anything contained in Section 3.1 hereof to the contrary notwithstanding, none of the income or assets of the AMTEC Trust shall inure to the benefit of CNIE, either directly or indirectly, except that nothing herein contained shall prevent payment by the Trust of reasonable amounts to CNIE for services rendered or supplies furnished by CNIE to the AMTEC Trust in furtherance of the Trust's purposes when approved by the Trustees.
||The Trustees of the AMTEC Trust shall submit annually to the Board of Directors of CNIE, for comment and advice, reports of activities, income, and sources thereof, expenditures and purposes for which made. Such reports shall also include activities proposed for the future together with a proposed annual budget.
||The fiscal year of the AMTEC Trust shall be in accordance with the fiscal year of CNIE.
||A yearly review of the Trust accounts will be conducted and a report will be forwarded annually to the President and Treasurer of the AMTEC Trust and to the CNIE Board.
||A chequing account may be established by the AMTEC Trust at a bank convenient to the AMTEC Trust to provide for the timely payment of necessary expenses for the day-to-day operation of the AMTEC Trust.
These Bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the Trustees participating in a meeting called for that purpose, except Articles 5.1 and 5.2, which may only be amended by unanimous vote of the Trustees participating in the meeting. The Bylaws, as so amended, shall not conflict with the AMTEC Trust “Trust Document”, and in the event of any such conflict the provisions of the AMTEC Trust “Trust Document” shall govern.
Disposal of Funds
||If the AMTEC Trust or the Canadian Network for Innovation in Edcuation should cease to exist, the Trustees shall call a meeting in accordance with procedures of the AMTEC Trust “Trust Document.”
||Should the Trustees, by a two third majority vote determine to dissolve the Trust, they shall distribute the AMTEC Trust's resources to some other public non-profit group with like purposes and objectives to those of the AMTEC Trust, so long as such distributions are in keeping with the AMTEC Trust “Trust Document” and the concerns of the benefactors as specified in the bequests to the AMTEC Trust; and provided that the selected recipient is qualified as per subsection 149.1(1) of the Income Tax Act. Preference shall be given to supporting educational media and technology scholarship and professional development and programs directed toward leadership development, but may include general philanthropic funds and educational Trusts.
No Personal Liability
Neither the officers, directors, trustees sponsors of the AMTEC Trust or their property shall be subject to or chargeable with the payment of debts or obligations of the AMTEC Trust.
We, the trustees, do hereby give our assurance that all the money received will be expended only for the purposes outlined in this document.